With the COVID-19 pandemic, wellness has been given an increasing amount of attention, and rightly so. Ensuring our own health and wellness not only benefits us in the present but paves the way for a healthy tomorrow. That being said, wellness is a broad term, and for an individual to truly flourish, it’s important to give undivided attention to all the components of wellness.
By focusing on all the components of wellness and striving to find a personal harmony with them that works for you, you will be able to change your life around. Remember, achieving a state of wellness is all about active awareness and commitment. So, refine your wellness plan today with the information in this post!
1. Explain The Components Of Wellness
2. Physical Wellness
3. Emotional Wellness
4. Social Wellness
5. Spiritual Wellness
6. Intellectual Wellness
7. Financial Wellness
Explain The Components Of Wellness
When we hear the term wellness, we often think of physical health and fitness. But that is just one aspect of wellness, which is actually an integration of your physical, mental and spiritual being. More than nutrition, exercise and weight management, wellness is a complex interaction of dimensions that affects your quality of life, with each dimension contributing equally towards the same.
The components of wellness are interrelated with one another, some being more prominent than others at times, but neglecting anyone is bound to have adverse effects on your overall health over time. To reach an optimal state of wellness, understand the different dimensions of wellness, maintain and optimize each in a way that works suitably for you.
Tip: The components of wellness are easy to understand and work on.
This wellness component encompasses healthy behaviors like exercise and nutrition and abstaining from drug use, alcohol abuse, and other harmful habits. Physical wellness also includes being aware of any symptoms your body shows, going for medical check-ups regularly, and keeping yourself safe from injury and harm.
Here’s what you can do to improve physical wellness:
- Eat healthy meals
- Exercise adequately and regularly
- Get enough rest daily
- Quit smoking and drinking alcohol
- Recognise early signs of illnesses
- Be proactive about your health
- Use protective equipment like seat belts and helmets
Tip: Work on all components of physical wellness for overall health.
The emotional dimension of wellness is related to the ability to feel and express emotions like happiness, anger, and sadness. Of all the components of wellness, this one fluctuates with the remaining ones. Emotional wellness also means possessing the ability to love and achieve a sense of fulfillment in life. It encompasses self-esteem, self-acceptance, and optimism.
To raise your emotional wellness quotient:
- Observe your thoughts and feelings
- Try to be optimistic
- Seek and take help if needed
- Get better at time and stress management
- Learn to accept mistakes and forgive yourself
Tip: The emotional component of wellness is as important as the physical component.
This component of wellness refers to one’s ability to interact in the community and live up to the expectations of personal roles. Social wellness is about respecting yourself and others, contributing to the community and building a sense of belonging.
To get better at social wellness, use these tips:
- Better your communication skills
- Develop intimacy with others and cultivate healthy relationships
- Create your support network of friends and family
- Get involved in community projects
Tip: Making the right choices related to the components of health and wellness will help you thrive in your life.
This dimension of wellness is about possessing guiding beliefs, values, or principles that can give direction to your life. Having faith and hope in your individual beliefs, being willing to seek purpose in existence, and appreciating things that are beyond explanation or understanding are all part of spiritual wellness.
For optimal spiritual wellness, use these suggestions:
- Spend some time alone regularly
- Be completely present in everything that you do
- Look at challenges as opportunities for growth
- Explore your spirituality
- Be who you are
Tip: Create your own wellness plan by taking all the components of the wellness wheel into consideration.
The intellectual dimension of wellness encourages creativity. Your mind needs to be inspired and exercised just as your physical body does.
Check out this infographic for tips on increasing intellectual wellness.
Tip: Challenge yourself every day!
Financial wellness is your overall financial health, which directly impacts your quality of life. The end goal might differ from person to person, and also at what stage of life you’re on, but attaining financial wellness is the key to financial security and freedom. It also benefits you with reduced stress, work-life harmony, and better creativity!
Here’s how to achieve financial wellness:
- Manage your debt
- Take expenses into account and create a spending plan
- Design an emergency plan
- Save for the future
Tip: Start working on your financial security and freedom today for a stress-free tomorrow.
Q. What is personal wellness?
A. Personal wellness involves your physical, emotional, mental, and spiritual health. Personal wellness is related to all the choices you make for your own life so you can be the best version of yourself.
Q. What is the concept of wellness?
A. Wellness is the state of leading a healthy lifestyle. Under the concept of wellness, your physical health is not the only thing that matters; mental health and emotional health also come into play, along with other components of wellness.
Q. What components make up your total health?
A. Apart from the six components of wellness explained above, environmental wellness and occupational wellness also contribute to your wellbeing. So there are a total of 8 components of wellness.
- Environmental wellness is about being aware of the effects of our daily habits on the earth and the environment. It involves living life such that it minimises harm to the environment and participating in socially responsible activities to protect the same.
- Occupational wellness is also known as vocational wellness. It involves using your skills and talents to gain purpose and happiness in life. Occupational wellness can reflect your attitude towards your work, and choosing a career that suits your personality, keeps your interest, and makes the best use of your talents will help increase it.
Q. What is wellness in health?
A. In simple words, health is your state of being, while leading a healthy lifestyle constitutes wellness. You can also better understand the terms this way – your health is the goal, whereas wellness is the process that will take you towards the goal.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel